So happy you are here. Please read, comment and follow along

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Set your standards low


Well, today was my first day of classes. It started off with a bang and ended, well let´s just say...it ended.
Pete made me a bowl of oatmeal and a delicious breakfast sandwich for brainfood and I felt pumped to start the day. I wanted to get to class early, but still took in the morning as I walked along the beautiful river Tomebamba, nevermind the puffs of diesel bus nasty in my asthmatic lungs, to the University of Cuenca. The scene at the school was bustling with energy, lots of new first day of school outfits and cute courting in the courtyard in front of the Department of Philosophy. I walked to the second floor to my assigned room and to my surprise there was another teacher already in the room. I polietly informed her that I had been assigned to the room and she looked at me confused and sort of of feeling sorry for me...
Well after hiking over in my heels (yes, I wore heels) to the second floor of a different building the secretary´s office to get the room situation sorted out. The secretary informed me I did have the correct information so I marched over to the room, not willing to let anyone push my around. I would hold my ground. I would would heed Pete´s advice and ¨not take no crap from nobody¨.
Well, turns out the teacher in my classroom was the teacher of the period before me from 8 to 9...she says to me in English, we´ll be done in 5 more minutes. IDIOT.
Okay, stay composed. Anyone could have made that misstake..right...
My first class was conversation and ever since taking Wilderness Water Safety with Dave Golden I was set of making it my goal to memorize everyone´s name having only heard the names once. BOOYAH! I did it back in the game.
The rest of the class went really well, the students within my department are within their 2nd of 4 years to become english teachers, so they are studious and dedicated. I was even excited to be interrupted by a drum circle in the courtyard just below my classroom. The students are dressed up to the 9´s, as is the Latino way, but have a nice amount of hippie in them which makes me feel right at home. I can almost smell the puget sound.

So, my next class was at 6pm. No problem. I had planned a great first day of activities and the respect and participation I gained from my morning class set me up for good feelings about the second. Also, I took of my heels that gave me blisters. Imagine 40 days hiking in Alaska and NO BLISTERS, but a half day walking in heels in Ecuador and I am hurting.
I can´t deny that I love comfortable shoes. Lesbians are so, so smart.

There I am shutting the door to my house when some jerk feels my butt. I would love to tell you I shouted obsenities at him, but I was so apauled that I just froze. Gross.
Alright, shake it off. Ain´t gonna let a little pervert get me down. What would MLK Jr. do...overcome, overcome.
So I arrive to my department building a little early and this time I play the part of the quick cultural learner and DON´T go in the classroom. My learning curve is impeccable.
Or so I thought.
I wait and everyone leaves, then no one enters...
I go up and down the hallway asking students, teachers, janitors, walls for advice and am told that 222 is my number. Duh its my number it´s my birthday. But, why oh why would 222 let me down (question mark (this computer does not have a question mark))
6:10, 6:15, 6:30...No one.
Well, I say no when to go down fighting AND know when to call it a day.

Pete came to walk me home and it was good to digest the day with him. He always knows what to say, like : ¨I mean, what can you do, the man is a pervert. All you can say is, I am sorry you´re a pervert. ¨









PS. the pictures are totally unrelated, but I thought would spice up a lot of text. This one is of Pete seducing Ms. Ecuador in the Jeep behind him. Thank you Megan Walker for your photography.

No comments: